Re: first TB in the north and clumps

Hello all,

The first TB bloom appearred today,  GYPSY WOMAN.  Really nice.  I have
scapes all over the place and several will be in bloom before the weekend is
over.  My Dwarfs are just about done.  I really like these little devils and
am glad I have an order in for a bunch more.

No scapes on Siberians or Japanese yet.  The pseudocorus looks like the
stalks are fat so maybe it will bloom.  After reading about this on the
robin, I will give it a copuple more years and if it doesn't perform, it
will give up its space to someone who can.  It has never done well for me in
about 6 years of trying.  Great foliage tho'.

I thought I. pallida variegata would be blooming now but not quite yet.  I
can't wait for its fragrance.  But buds and branching it doesn't have, at
least for me.  I really like it tho'.  Its varigation is striking and it is
a beautiful plant for an accent.  If people don't have it, they should
consider it for an accent.  It doesn't give me any trouble.  I defer to
Clarence and others tho' because they have so much more experience with some
of these.

Linda asked about clumps.  I have three year clumps of BLUE STACCATO and
PAINTED PICTURES.  Very nice.  PP has several stalks but not yet blooming.
BS has not yet put up its scapes.  Neither has given me any trouble. They
are in fairly sandy soil.

I lost CHERRY SMOKE to rot.  and, if fact, I have had some trouble with rot
in my main Iris bed but, after digging up pretty much my entire backyard, I
have discovered a tremendous variability in my soil.  It varies from thin
topsoil over sand to much heavier soil in places.  The iris bed is now in
the heavier area and I think this is why I have some rot.  I never had it

This whole garden is only two years old (I moved) and I am getting adjusted
to it.  My new plantings this year, (many, many iris on their way) will be
on the sandier soil and I expect they will do better.  I put the new
Siberians in the heavier stuff and they are doing pretty well.

The air is heavy with the scent of lilacs. I have a row in bloom and they
are so covered, the branches, 8 feet tall, are bending toward the ground.
Tulips just about done as are narcissis and the roses are budding.

My Blueeyed grass (an Irid, Sisy something or other) is blooming and this is
a small gem.  Beautiful little 1/2 inch blue flowers about 8 inches tall.

Happy gardening
Lee DeJongh   Rhinelander Wis  Zone 3  AHS region 2  AIS region 8

Why settle for a disaster when, with a little effort, you can create a