Cutting back fans?

Hello everyone!
	I have read/heard different opinions on cutting back fans. (This
should probably be a FAQ if it is not already.)
	Some sources say cut them back, some say don't. Gina asked me to
write in and get a few more opinions. I am in favor of just letting them
grow, theorizing that there will be greater area in which photosynthesis can
occur. (See, I stayed awake during most of high school!) Gina wants to cut
them back to about a foot high, but says we should not do so until July or
August. Neither of us are certain...
	Thank you all for share your views on this, whether pro or con!
Jim Schroetter
Fredericksburg, VA