Re: Favorite Sibs and other stuff...

>	Clarence -- some folks at our iris show were (delicate, here) discussing
>the second bud/terminal bloom placement. What's your thoughts -- at what
>stage is that second bud interferring with the terminal bloom on a siberian?
>I find that second bud coming along to be attractive as it stands up there.
>Is there some sort of "rule" about precisely when that second bud should
>make it's appearance?  I'd think that the second bloom should be coming out
>as the terminal curls up, if not deadheaded, so that there is always a bloom
>there -- and make that what ARE your thoughtSSS.

So long as two flowers are not open at the same time on the terminal, what's
the problem?  It might be nice to have a second terminal bud open just as the
lst one closes, but surely is not a fault if the second bud opens later.  If
the first bud starts to open when the first flower is still fresh, it will
probably reduce the bloom season for a Siberian...that would be the worst
consequence I would think.  Now as for how to deal will a second terminal bud
starting to open when the 1st is still fresh, that is another issue on the
show bench. I would remove the 2d bud so that it does not interfere, but of
course that is a matter of grooming.  Hope this is responsive to your
question. Clarence Mahan in VA