Re: alfalfa pellets

Kay Berg wrote:
> Linda Mann mentioned using alfalfa pellets in the garden; I must have
> missed an earlier discussion of this subject and, since I just happen to
> have a supply of same would surely appreciate your suggestions for using
> it up!
> Kay Berg in the Skagit Valley, Washington

Kay, there has been a lot of discussion.  In a nut shell- Alfalfa when
used with a little fertilizer provides much needed help to your soil.
I use it on all flower gardens including hostas, roses, daylillies, etc.
 Different people use it at different times, but I put it on after
iris bloom and water it in. I have never measured the amount used, but
when it has broken down it provides a "Blanket" on the soil that slowly
breaks down over the summer.  If you have a problem with rabbits or
deer, you can mix 10-12 lbs. to a 32 gal. trash can of water- stir daily
and top off the water daily, after 1 week the smelly "tea" can be poured
around the plants. Alfalfa is a natural herbicide also- good benefit!
In your part of the country, Dave Silverberg and Terry Aitken are good
resources of info on this subject.

Hope this helps

Dennis Stoneburner - still in my ark in Virginia