Re: Invasive pseudo

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996 SCHAFFCM@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU wrote:

> Likewise purple loosestrife.  A person on the internet with whom I was
> exchanging postings said that purple loosestrife is not invasive in the
> south.  Is that true??

NO!  In this month's *Virginia Wildlife" magazine there is an article on
invasive plants and purple loosestrife is one of the most menacing
invasive plants in the state.

> My contention is that purple loosestrife is such a menace here in the north
> -- it is almost devestating bird sanctuaries -- is NOT the garden variety
> and therefore neither should be used in gardens to avoid confusing passersby
> who go to swamps and dig the awful kind.  What are your comments?

I've become convinced it should never be planted in most of the US--even
the supposedly "sterile" garden varieties are thought to facilitate the
spread of the plant.  Don't buy it!  Pull it out if you have it.
Encourage your state to invest in eradication programs before valuable
habitat and native species are lost!

Debbie Green
Williamsburg, VA (USDA Zone 7/8)
dxgree@facstaff.wm.edu