Favorite Siberians

The Siberians are opening like crazy in my garden since this hot, wet, muggy
air arrived on Saturday and parked itself here.  It is not their best year;
but there's still interesting things going on.

Tamberg's PRUSSIAN BLUE was one of the first out.  Big, big, blue, blue
 flowers on telephone pole stalks!    I also like his BERLIN RUFFLES very
much; another big, solid, vigorous plant.  SUMMER SKY provides such a
delicate, pastel contrast--another favorite.
McGarvey's TEMPER TANTRUM is usually one of the last to bloom; this year it's
starting already.  I like the magenta and blue tones of this one.  Miller's
AQUA WHISPERS is also one of my favorites in the color dept.  FRIENDLY
WELCOME is one of the first to bloom, and is so vigorous here, forming a
large clump literally covered with bright blue, blue flowers.

I have to plead guilty to killing BUTTER AND SUGAR a few years back...

EXOTICA:  An I. virginica from SIGNA seed will bloom this year.  My one
surviving Cal-Sib has 2 (!) bloomstalks forming this year.  I. prismatica
(magenta color) is going to bloom! (I know it should do well here, but it
doesn't know it).  And wonder of wonders, I. laevigata albopurpurea
'Colchesterensis' is forming a small bloomstalk!  This is my second try with
it.  I just hope I don't miss it all while I'm at the M.A.S.S. Medley!

So much irising to do, such a short season!

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
(Hot and muggy Newfield, NY, --where it was snowing like H... less than 1
month ago)