Re: Slugs & Bugs

>I just bought my first Japanese iris and was wondering if I understood
>correctly that these plants actually like sitting in a pan of water all
>summer?  How large a pot? Do they need any special treatment
>over the winter?
>
>Last summer I put in a Siberian, "Ceaser's Brother", & it is blooming
>nicely.  I wonder if anyone has special favorites in the Siberians?

Where you live, i.e. Washington, there is no reason you cannot put the
Japanese irises into your garden beds.  If you want to grow in a pot, use
regular garden soil (if it is acidic) not the bagged soil.  Mix in lots of
compost (not manure).  Set them in a pool of water, but remove them every
couple of weeks and let them dry out, then put them back into the water for a
couple of weeks. The roots need to be dry to get nutrients properly, so the
pot should be allowed to get a little dry every so often.

Re favorite Siberians, I don't know where to begin 'cause I love most of
them.  The star in my garden this year was the gorgeous blue violet HIGH
STANDARDS.  Other great beauties that outdid themselves this year:  SKY
WINGS, SHAKER'S PRAYER, FINE TUNED, ESTHER CDM, DEVIL'S DREAM, TEALWOOD, ROSE
QUEST, RIKUGI SAKURA, SUPER EGO, and DREAMING SPIRES.....I could go on and
on.....Clarence Mahan in Virginia