Re: Dividing Japanese Iris?

Hi:

Regarding dividing Japanese irises.  It is my opinion that they do not do
as well in the South (I'm in Zone 7B) as the North...but I know the folks
in South Carolina grow them beautifully!  Anyway, I find that I get
excellent bloom about every third year...and this year my best bloom was in
potted specimens.

Regarding dividing:  I'd be careful if I undertook to divide in the heat of
summer.  They will need shade...and water every day, I'd think.  I'd
recommend waiting till September.  But, it can be done if you are careful
to give shade and plenty of water.  Don't fertilize till they've recovered
from the move.

Tom Dillard
Little Rock, Arkansas
Zone 7B