Queen of Show

Hello all,
	Just wanted to share a proud moment with all of you irisarians!  Our local show
was held on May 25th in Champaign, IL.  Did not have much to take...bloom season has
been about 2 weeks behind.  My 10 year old daughter, Brittany, decided to take a few
stalks since her 4 and 5 year old cousins were also taking a stalk a piece to enter in
the show.  Brittany watched and copied everything I did; wedging the stalk in the
bottle, wiping the stems with tissue, etc.  It came time for judging and our "group" of
kids and adults walked in the mall...killing time and trying not to look too anxious
about the outcome.  Brittany and her cousins slipped over to the judging area a few
times to peek.  The last time Brittany peeked she came back and told me someone took her
iris off the table where it was supposed to be...she was quite upset!  I walked over to
the judging area and saw that her iris had been moved from the youth division table to
the "big table".  I told Brittany that this was a good thing, it meant her iris was a
top award winner in the youth division.  She was so happy!  What was even better was
that her stalk of MERRY MADRIGAL won Queen of Show...her first entry in a show and she
won the big one.  (I had the same experience last year)  She is so hyped that she joined
AIS and she can't wait to attend the state plant sale in August...as if I need help or
encouragement to buy more iris!!!  I just had to share this with people who care about

Julie Irwin <bajai@mtco.com>
USDA zone 5  Pekin,  IL