Dividing Japanese Iris?

I have a huge clump of Japanese Iris (I think it is 'Pink Lady') that is
in full bloom right now.  Because I only have two JIs and have never had
to divide them (only been in house three years!) I don't know what is
standard procedure for these--should I divide soon after bloom or wait
until the fall, winter or spring?  Any other tips about dividing these?
Do they tend to show less and less bloom or can they go for many years
without dividing?  This particular clump is in front of a raised bed that
is part of my vegetable garden and I think that I will have to remove
part of it this year to avoid shading/crowding the veggies.

Debbie Green
Williamsburg, VA (USDA Zone 7/8)