Re: Great Blue Herons

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

> Better be careful, or you may get what you wish for!  If I send you a great
> blue heron you won't have too many goldfish----you won't have any.  I am
> fortunate to have built my pond without steps on the sides, and to have made
> it over 3 feet deep....the herons have nothing to stand on to do their
> fishing.  They may get a few, but not many....several of my friends here in
> McLean, who have shallow ponds, had all their koi eaten.

I know this is all in jest, but just heard this horror story about herons
that I want to relay lest anyone ever get into a situation where they are
trying to handle one.  Apparently injured herons can cause great harm or
death to people because if you are trying to move one it will do its
lightening-quick beak-jabbing in the area right between your eyes (massive
brain damage).  This chilled my blood when I heard it--it was mentioned
in passing by the Game and Inland Fisheries people I am doing some work with.

To get back to iris--I saw lots of Japanese iris in bloom at the Lewis
Ginter Park Botanical Gardens in Richmond yesterday.  Also saw 'Black
Gamecock' in full bloom and have accepted mine are NOT going to bloom
again this year (SOB!!).  Also, noticed that their I. pseudacorus have
set lots of seed pods so maybe those concerned about invasive species
should inform them they should do something about this....I didn't feel
authoritative enough to collar anyone about it, myself!!

Debbie Green
Williamsburg, VA (USDA 7/8)
dxgree@facstaff.wm.edu