Slugs & Bugs

Hello, out there!

This is my first attempt to send out a message... I've been reading
the messages flying back & forth between you all & am amazed at
how many knowledgeable folks are on this list!

Anyway I do have a real Iris question.  My poor iris patch has had a
really tough year, way too much rain, some kind of blight, the usual army
of slugs, etc.  but today I noticed the fans on several plants are
notched up the sides, just like some bug decided to make a snack out of
them; also, some awful critter ate through the stalk of my
about-to-bloom "Dusky Challenger", just below the bud. Do slugs do that? I
can't remember seeing that kind of damage in the past. Does
anyone have any idea if something else might have done it?

I just bought my first Japanese iris and was wondering if I understood
correctly that these plants actually like sitting in a pan of water all
summer?  How large a pot? Do they need any special treatment
over the winter?

Last summer I put in a Siberian, "Ceaser's Brother", & it is blooming
nicely.  I wonder if anyone has special favorites in the Siberians?

Hope to hear all about National from you lucky ones that get to go this
year; it's on my wish list for "someday."

Until next time,

Kay Berg   Mount Vernon, Washington     kberg@baker.cnw.com