Re: Henry Mitchell and Irises

Clarence,
You wrote:
>> then wrote a column about the Barnes's and their
wonderful selection of old irises.  He later had to write a column publicly
apologizing to the Barnes's....they were so flooded with orders that they had
to stop selling irises that year...such was power of Henry's recommendation
to the gardening public in the Washington, DC area.<<<

I was in St. Louis at that time, and never missed Henry's column, which was
carried in the Post-Dispatch.  I wrote and got the Barnes list, and it's in
My HIPS file, where I still refer to it for additional descriptions of older
iris.  Always felt bad for adding to their flood of mail, but it was
wonderful to know someone besides me valued those oldies.

Kathryn Mohr
kemohr@aol.com