Re: Kids and Irises

Carolyn in NY urged me to post this, from a private message to her, and the
HIPS Robin (sorry HIPS for the repetition).

Monday I found my three year old, Alex, crouched down over a leaf he'd pulled
off Atroviolacea, and split open. "I squashin' the spiders Mommy".  The kid
already knows how to deal with borers! Of course, the leaf he had was
borer-free, but it's the thought that counts!
I took the two yungest boys to the local daylily society's perennial sale a
couple weeks ago.  Will, 7, got a budget of $3, and bought 2 perennials and 2
no-name red daylilies (his favorite color).  Alex kept bringing me daylilies
from the $7 table, and i had to tell him no-until he came up with a plant in
each hand and asked "Buy me iris Mommy?"  He'd chosen a Sib and a SDB-how
could I say no?
He helped plant them, and shows them to every visitor.

Kathryn Mohr, proud mama in NY