Manifestations of Frost Damage

Greetings to all!
	In her intro msg Lois Rose said:
>> "Living in a part of central Virginia hard hit by the ice storms of '94
>> and the blizzards of '96 I am well acquainted with the various
>> manifestations of frost damage in iris: snakey stalks, short stalks, buds
>> that never mature or that open upside-down...."
	Welcome to the list, Lois! So glad that you got online with us so
quickly! (For those of you that don't know, my wife Gina and I live only
about 20 miles away from Lois, so experienced almost identical weather....)
	I wanted to say that we had ALL of these problems you mentioned at
some point this year. DENVER DAWN had a bud pointing downward toward it's
rhizome just two days ago, HALLOWEEN HALO had a stalk under 12" (whereas over
24" tall last year), one had all of it's buds just wither/vanish, etc.  We
had some of the last of our bearded iris buds to bloom (within the last week)
with the "freaks and other irritations" symptoms, just as you had indicated!
LATIN LOVER had one with three standards and only one fall. CORAL SUNSET had
only two stds and two falls, and TOTAL ELEGANCE had three of these freaky
(last) buds in bloom simultaneously. And there were others.  If it were not
for your input, Lois, and that of others on this list in the past few days,
we would not have known that the recent bad weather was to blame. So happy to
find that we did not build our dream log home over a toxic waste dump after

Jim Schroetter