Re: Clarence's advice on I. pseudacorus

Dustin:
	Nice to hear from you!!
New York State Conservation Department has a program (I hope it will be
funded by our fiscally insane governor!!) to introduce a beetle to control
purple loosestrife.  Most folks don't realize there is a horrible invasive
variety and a garden variety.
	Last year in our Buffalo In Bloom contest, I tried to raise the
dead by rejecting a garden at our main Public Library which had a purple
loosestrife. I contended that the garden is also a demonstration and to
reward the impression that this plant is ok for the garden is not what
judges should do!! I was of course outvoted.  I'm afraid most folks will
think that the stuff that is in every piece of standing water is ok
for gardens.
	Part of the contest is appropriate plants.  The other judges were
one, a landscaper and two, a garden federation officer!! Should have
been aware of educating the public!! As an Iris judge, at least in Western
New York, we are constantly aware that one of our main jobs is to Educate
the Public!!
Thanks for your comments!
Carolyn Schaffner in raining wet chilly Buffalo, NY