Re: international orders

>Can anyone list iris suppliers who will ship overseas.  Does Schreiner's??
>What's the procedure?  What's the charge? How should iris be shipped, is
>regular mail sufficient?  Any growers with the "proper" certificates with
>advise for a person ordering from Europe (is it different for Australia
>or South Africa??) would be appreciated!!
>
>Would it be easier for a person across the pond to order from a Canadian
>source?  ARe there fewer restrictions from Canada to Europe??
>
>Carolyn Schaffner in wet, cold, soggy Buffalo, NY

I have been shipping irises to Europe and Japan for more than a decade, but I
can't tell you which others do it....I know some who do not, because they
have referred European and Japanese customers to me from time to time.
 Shipping irises to the Western European countries (I include those not
previously under Communist rule) is easy.  All you need to do is have the
irises inspected and get a photosanitary certificate.  Your State AG Dept is
the agency to contact for this, or you can have the US Dept of Ag inspectors
at any international airport do it...but you have to make an appointment.
 Shipping irises to Japan is also a snap...same rules as Western Europe.  Of
the former Communist ruled countries, Poland is easy.  Russia is
difficult...the person to whom you are shipping must obtain and give you an
import permit number which must be written several places on the package.
(The photosanitary certificate must be put in the package, and also attached
to the outside...I put it in a plastic baggie, and tape the baggie to the
outside).  I haven't had experience with the other formerly Communist
countries.

Australia and New Zealand are THE MOST DIFFICULT.  The person receiving the
irises must send you special papers and instructions, which you must follow,
in addition to the photosanitary certificate.  CANADA used to be the most
difficult of all...they not only had the same requirements as Australia and
New Zealand, but the plant inspectors would never repack the irises in wet
paper...so after many shipments dead on arrival I stopped taking Canadian
orders..but last year the Royal Botanic Garden in Hamilton ordered a big
shipment of Siberians from me and advised that Canada has changed the rules
to require only a photosanitary certificate if shipped from U.S.  I shipped
that way, and all irises arrived in good shape.  Hope this helps.  Clarence
Mahan in VA