Kids and Irises

Carolyn Schaffner talks about irises in her yard...
> My boy got real close to it and peaked inside and asked all
> sorts of questions about whether it's supposed to be the same color as the
> standards, and the beard color is not red, or yellow, is that ok.  It was
> totally fascinating to see him take such care at his evaluation!! at 7!!

Chris comments;

This is great, I always really like to see kids take an interest in
nature and their natural surrounding environment. They will be the ones
taking care of it in the future. It's particularly nice to see them
taking an interest in irises. Two of my young boys are interested in
irises and I encourage them along. All three of my kids (6,8 and 10)
have their own little gardens that they take care of and they have their
own irises in among other plants. They are quite knowledgeable about
irises and will talk about them once they get to know you. They each
brought iris to the show last weekend and received ribbons for them. On
occasion a plant may get "roughed up" by accident in our yard but I try
to remenber, hey, it's only a plant, iris or not.
I fully believe that this type of encouragement will stimulate a
lifelong interest in gardening in general and possibly irises. This is
how I came to be interested, by helping my parents and learning along
the way. I have them to thank for this insight and teaching.
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
Director, Canadian Iris Society
e-mail: cris@netcom.ca