Re: Dividing Siberians

In a message dated 96-06-03 17:11:01 EDT, Janis W. wrote:

>  Can I just cut some
>pieces out of it?  Do I have to dig the whole clump and separate it or just
>cut and replant as I want to, or have the time to.  Does it have to be fall?

>Can I do it just after bloom?  I want to send some to a friend and they have
>hot muggy summers, but probably not totally dry. Can I send before or during
>summer?

To succeed with dividing or transplanting Siberians in late spring and
summer, you must WATER every day AND SHADE the plants for the first couple of
weeks.  You can succeed, but failure often results in hot months if one skips
water or neglects shade.  I would not send plants to your friend until late
August or later.  Re dividing only part of a clump, this is an ideal way to
divide a Siberian.  You can cut down into the clump and take about one third
up.  Cover the roots well of the remaining two-thirds, and improve the soil
in the area where you removed part of the clump.  Plant several of the
divided plants back into that area, and you will have a nice clump next year.
 Then you can divide the remaining part in the next two years.  My friend
Carol Warner always has gorgeous clumps of Siberians, and this is the
practice she uses...but then she has a magical green thumb too!.  Hope this
helps, Clarence Mahan in VA