Re: Clarence's advice on I. pseudacorus

  • To: iris-l@Rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Clarence's advice on I. pseudacorus
  • From: "Dustin K. Howarth" <HOWARTH@zool.umd.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 19:51:44 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <HOWARTH@zool.umd.edu>
  • Return-Receipt-To: howarth@zool.umd.edu

Clarence Mahan wrote:

> I. pseudacorus is replacing I. versicolor (which is of course a native American
> species)!!!!  Apparently, when I. pseudacorus is introduced into the wild,
> its strong constitution overwhelms the native American species.
> I write this to get the word out that Iris pseudacorus should not be allowed
> to go wild...but this seems almost a futile objective since I have seen this
> iris around many ponds and lakes in VA!  And the seed is very hardy and
> viable!
Too true!  I happen to work for the Virginia Natural Heritage
Program, and our botanists consider I. pseudacorus to be a dangerous
alien invasive.  While not as noxious as Japanese honeysuckle or
purple loosestrife, pseudacorus should be planted with great care.
It is great in a controlled perennial bed or isolated bog or
pond, but please do not plant it near running water or near a wet
natural area.  Most important of all, clipping the stalks before seed
pods form lowers the risk considerably.

 (Dustin now performs a dismount from the soapbox!)

Happy irising, but be careful out there!

Dustin Howarth
Ashland, VA
Dustin Howarth
Zone 7a, Ashland (central) Va