Bloomin' Black Buds

Just thought I would let everyone know that the BLACK GAMECOCK I got from
Clarence is about to open its first bud.  It has been showing color since
Friday but, as of six this morning when I had to leave it to come to work,
it still wasn't open.  Hopefully, it will be open by the time I get  back to
it around six-thirty or seven.  As Clarence explained, it isn't a true
black, but appears so, especially in among the cattails and watercress, next
to the yellow I. pseudacorus still with a few blossoms and the purple I.
versicolor which are only now passing their peak.  I'm really not bragging,
but seeing as this is my first year ever at growing iris (really, I only
provided them a place to do as they wish), I want to share my amazement with
others and let Clarence know that his charges are performing well.  I do
have a question or two:
  I noticed that the pseudacorus have lots of bright green,
collapsed-triangle shaped seed pods.  I don't pretend to know anything about
growing from seed and from the posts I've read on here it doesn't seem
necessary.  Should I just leave them be or will the plant benefit if I
remove them?  What about the entire flower stalk?  My wife has only cut
about half of them for the house, leaving the rest to decorate the garden.
 I understand that I should cut back all of the foliage once it turns brown,
but do I need to do anything in the meantime?  TIA, and also in retrospect
for all the encouragement, help and information.
Charlie Rodgers
In Maryland, 10 miles from The White House