Dividing Siberians

I want to divide a clump of Caesar's Brother and Eric the Red. Actually, the
Caesar's Brother has gotten to be more of a circle.  Can I just cut some
pieces out of it?  Do I have to dig the whole clump and separate it or just
cut and replant as I want to, or have the time to.  Does it have to be fall?
Can I do it just after bloom?  I want to send some to a friend and they have
hot muggy summers, but probably not totally dry. Can I send before or during
summer?  Lots of questions, I know, and I get my Siberians in the fall when I
buy them, but had heard that was not strictly necessary.  Anybody care to help
me with this?  It would be much appreciated.

 BTW, my Lavender Bounty bloomed and is very pretty.  But my Butter and Sugar
(yellow and white) has produced only one bloom this year.  It is going
backwards.  It has never been a great producer but this is a real

 Janis Whitcomb