Re: Dividing Siberians

F. Michael Adams wrote:
> I want to divide a clump of Caesar's Brother and Eric the Red. Actually, the
> Caesar's Brother has gotten to be more of a circle.  Can I just cut some
> pieces out of it?  Do I have to dig the whole clump and separate it or just
> cut and replant as I want to, or have the time to.  Does it have to be fall?
> Can I do it just after bloom?  I want to send some to a friend and they have
> hot muggy summers, but probably not totally dry. Can I send before or during
> summer?  Lots of questions, I know, and I get my Siberians in the fall when I
> buy them, but had heard that was not strictly necessary.  Anybody care to help
> me with this?  It would be much appreciated.
>  BTW, my Lavender Bounty bloomed and is very pretty.  But my Butter and Sugar
> (yellow and white) has produced only one bloom this year.  It is going
> backwards.  It has never been a great producer but this is a real
> disappointment.
>  Janis Whitcomb

I have had some luck dividing in the summer, if I water everyday,
sometimes twice a day until new growth appears.  It is to nerve wracking
to do it in the summer so my rule is no digging until after labor day
I have also dug just a part of the clump and left the rest for later or
another year.
Butter & Sugar passed my way several years ago, never to be seen again.
 Life is too short.  Hope this helps.