Hello from new subscriber...

Greetings!

I am brand new to the Internet and was delighted to find the Iris-l list
on my very first search. I have found lots of useful information already
and guess I'll just have to wait until after "iris season" to get around
to looking up other subjects!

I live in the Skagit Valley in Washington State, better known as the home
of the world's largest growers of tulip bulbs - and the fields are
spectacular in the springtime.  I have been a devoted iris grower since
my first visit to Schreiner's gardens in Salem, Oregon nine years ago.
Unfortunately my home garden doesn't have very good growing conditions
for iris -  too much shade, too wet, and I can never get ahead of the
slugs no matter how hard I try.  Still every year at least
some of my iris manage to bloom and I do truly appreciate every one of
them.  I daydream about buying a place with room to grow lots of iris,
with sunshine and fertile soil, but it will have to wail until my
daughter gets through Vet school (in Worcester, MA). Until then, I keep
adding a few new plants every year and waiting for spring to come again.

I would also like to offer my enthusiastic recommendation for Schreiner's;
my four sisters and I have been visiting their gardens every year for the
past nine years and there is always a member of the Schreiner family who
takes the time to talk to us, answer our questions and generally make us
feel as if we are valued guests in their gardens.

I am currently participating in a demonstration garden project being
developed by our county Master Gardeners; space was made available to
various plant societies (roses, dahlias, native plants, etc.) for separate
garden areas but since there are only a few Iris Society members in the
county, not enough to manage a full-sized Iris demonstration garden, the
Master Gardeners have made space for two 16' x 6' iris beds within the
main garden; I will find the plants and they will maintain the beds.
Groundbreaking begins this fall and the gardens will be open to the public
next spring; I am anxious to get started but it will probably be too late
in the season to plant anything this year.

I am really looking forward to participating in the Iris mailing list and
in getting to know and learn from all of you!

Happy spring!

Kay Berg
kberg@baker.cnw.com