Re: blaming the cultivar, stand-up TBs poll

Standing up stalks is one thing I do NOT have a problem with, but then
Supreme Sultan has been known to have BB sized flowers here (shorter and
smaller than advertised is common)...Even Victoria Falls never falls down
(one leaned this year).  Based on how my stalks vary in height according to
weather during development (the harder the freeze the shorter the stalk) and
bloom (the hotter and drier the shorter the stalk), I suspect regional and
local climate has a lot to do with falling down, and I don't just mean
getting blown down by heavy rain and wind.  It was very cool and somewhat dry
up until my peak=late bloom started (such as it was this year) - Lacy
Snowflake was over 4 ft tall and hit the dirt.  Several other varieties were
the same incredibly tall (Bayberry Candle, Madiera...I didn't take notes, but
those I remember).  Seems like there were two of us in more southern climates
with standing up Victoria Falls's and a whole lot of New England (is Virginia
part of new england?) and ?Ohio? falling down.

For the flower size and stalk height, this year I would vote Pegasus Parade
as most upstanding.  hmm - but maybe it is one of those iris I like that
doesn't open all its buds at one time?

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tenn usa