Re: new lurker

Welcome aboard Lois,

It doesn't seem as if the iris year is complete if we don't tour the "Rose"
garden! Really nice to have a Library of Congress contact on this list --
now if I could just checkout and forget to return a 1909 Bertrand Farr

Your comments on Roundup are right on the mark -- I can't live without it
to zap our poison ivy and other noxious weeds but I seldom find a day calm
enough to spray it within feet of iris. My solution is to use the wick
Leonard's Garden catalog has an applicator, however, I have had good luck
using a Wagner Paint-Stick. The handle holds a quart or so of solution and
it can be metered out to the paint roller head with a button on the handle.
It has 4", 10" and 16" rollers available and is carried by the major home
repair superstores such as HQ, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. There is a generic
cheapo available in Walmart's but I have not had any luck keeping it from
leaking around the seals and the fill cap using the admittedly
thinner-than-paint Roundup solution.

Best regards, Mike Lowe, Virginia, USA