Gladwyn Iris

Hello folks:

This spring, after years of nursing the seedlings along, Iris foetidissima
bloomed in my garden!  This was about 2 weeks ago.  I have two
clumps...both grown from seeds.  The larger clump (probably about 5 or 6
different plants) bloomed extremely well, despite the late freeze that
killed much of its new foliage.  The Gladwyn Iris is evergreen around
here...and the foliage is a great asset (excepting this spring when the
browned foliage had to be cut back).

Most of the flowers were the typical grayed-lavender...and very unimposing.
The second clump, which is smaller and grown in heavy shade, had a much
prettier flower--with quite a lot of yellow in the flower.  But, happily,
all the plants have nice fat seed pods, which I hope will put on a display
in the garden this autumn.

The fetid iris is not showy, but it is a nice bit of understated elegance
in the garden at a time of year when elegance is more rare than vividness.

Tom Dillard
Little Rock, Arkansas
Zone 7B