RE: Storm Last Night

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Storm Last Night
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 07:27:36 -0600 (MDT)

I'm sorry to hear about your hostas, but as you say, they will survive.

How far away is your 7 foot rose hedge from the irises?  I wasn't
thinking about using roses as a windbreak, but we are planning to plant
some rose shrubs.  We've had very high winds -- not as bad as you, but
for a longer duration.  High winds last week over three days battered
the most susceptible iris.  Then another three days of high winds this
week knocked down the remainder of the TBs that were not blooming at BB
height.  I spent all week staking iris to make sure that I had something
to exhibit at the horticultural Iris & Peony Show.  Peonies were looking
great, but it was definitely past peak season for the iris.  Thankfully,
the thunderstorm didn't hit until the next day.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)