RE: SPEC: hybrids of I. versicolor

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: SPEC: hybrids of I. versicolor
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:33:59 -0600 (MDT)

Bill,

Ian Efford will be coming over to give us his opinion on the pseudacorus
X versicolor (note spelling!).  The blooms opened on the weekend.  They
are yellow with a brown spot and brown veins.  My pseudacorus has only
the brown spot.  Are there any pseudacorus that also have brown veins?
The plant is also about a foot taller than pseudacorus.  Could the veins
and plant height be versicolor influence?

We also have what is labelled hookerianaXversicolor (it is really hard
not to put in that "u").  The bloom is definitely versicolor but the
leaves and plant habits seem to be hookeriana.  The stalks lean out from
the clump and are arching.  Leaves cover the short stem before the
bloom.  There are about 3 or 4 long branches.  Any thoughts?

These clumps are ready to be divided, so I am trying to verify what they
are before I share them.

Maureen Mark
mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)