SPEC: Gerald Darby

Thanks to Jan, Sterling and Mark for responding to my request about a
black (actually purple) stemmed iris, which I assumed from memory was a
Louisiana iris but agree it is  GERALD DARBY, a cross between virginica
and versicolor. If I had the sense to search diligently in my own
garden, I would have found Gerald Darby in bud with a black stem and
purple based leaves!  This plant will be flowering in the next few days.
It has been around for some years and is obviously hardy here.

I was seeking this information because I was trying to identify an iris
that it about to bloom in Sandy and Maureen's garden which is quite
close by!  Now I know its name and, if they read their e-mail, they will
know also.  My plant looks like a younger edition of theirs so that I
feel certain that the identification is correct.  All we have to do now
is to see that they change their label!

I wonder if anyone has examined the origin of the dark purple stems of
this cultivar and related plants like  X Robusta "Beetroot".

All these plants should do well in water or very damp soil as their
parents are marsh irises.

Ian, in Ottawa