Re: Black stemmed iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Black stemmed iris
  • From: Sandy <rives@home.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:41:21 -0600 (MDT)

I have several species iris for which I am posting a fuller description
in the hope of confirming our prejudices (and removing any doubt of
mislabelling by the donor).  I have left my 'Matthew' at the in-laws and
so cannot give a better description.  Thanks to Ian for his aid.

As I recall, the rhizomes of each example are best split with an axe.
All plants are in the same immediate vicinity.  (We are talking feet).

First plant:
Leaves - 75 X 3 cm (30" X 1.25") sword-like with centre ribs, good long
purple base .
Stem - 60 - 65 cm ( ~24"-26"), solid feeling, black, two branches and a
spur.  Leans somewhat.
Bloom - Almost 10cm (~3.5") across, 3cm (~1") thin blue standards with
minimal veining.  Falls have a yellow signal, fading quickly to white,
then blue with blue veins throughout.
Style arms are blue centre, fading to white at the edges.  The falls
parallel the style arms.

Second plant; tagged as 'Gerald Darby'
Leaves - 70 X 1.5 cm (24" X 0.75") more fountaining than the above, also
with centre ribbing, some purple base, but not as much as the above.
Stem - shorter 50 - 60 cm ( 24" at best), black stem, possibly two
branches and a spur
Bloom - just starting to colour up.  It will be roughly the same blue,
but I'll have to let you know in a week or so.

Third plant
Leaves - 70 X 1.5 - 2.0cm (24" X 0.75-1") fountaining with centre
ribbing and barely visible purple base.
Stem - same as first plant, but with completely green stem.  Two
branches plus spur.
Bloom - structurally similar to first plant, but perhaps 20% smaller.
The veining of the standards is more pronounced as well

In order of presentation, these plants were purchased as I.versicolor x
I.pseudacorus (really!), Gerald Darby, and I. hookeriana (really).  I am
inclined to consider them all as having I. versicolor in them, but
beyond that is anyone's guess.

We are almost three weeks ahead of schedule; our TB season is nearly
finished.

And, yes Ian, we will mark 'A' clump especially for you:-).

Sandy Ives in Ottawa (where I. pseudacorus is in bloom today, but very
short compared to previous years)