Re: TB - JANE PHILLIPS

<<  I had hoped that I would get more response regarding my clump of JANE
 PHILLIPS (?).  It does have fragrance, as someone suggested it should.
 Pale lavender, brushed with slightly darker lavender; yellow beard. >>

>From my late aunt's notebook, copied from some catalog:
"JANE  PHILLIPS (Graves '50) 34" ML (Helen McGregor x------)Very close to true
blue. Domed Standards, semi-flaring falls. Good form. Proven to be a good
parent".

>From the HIPS reprint of the 1951 Tell's Iris Garden Catalog:
JANE PHILLIPS (Graves '50) HELEN MCGregor x Sister to Boy State: Pale
Moonlightx Great Lakes) Deeper in Color than Helen McGregor but it possesses
much of the same quality. H.M. '50

And for a detailed report of an in-depth analysis of a plant identification
project undertaken by the Green Figers Garden Club in Greenwich, Connecticut
which resulted in their identification of a mysterious blue iris as JANE
PHILLIPS, see ROOTS for Fall'94, pp.4-9, in which is found a black and white
photograph of this flax blue classic.

HIPS reprints of primary documents of iris history and back issues of ROOTS
are available from Ruth Simmons, HIPS Publications Chairman. For further
information see the HIPS page at http://www.worldiris.com/.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS