Re: TB: Mystery Purple and White Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB: Mystery Purple and White Iris
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:23:35 -0600 (MDT)

Barb Johnson wrote:
> Well, I did find a picture that matched it, finally, in my RORIS catalog;
> I'm pretty sure this beauty is EXOTIC STAR (Plough '75). If anyone knows of
> another iris that looks like it, let me know.

I am going to stand for a moment on Anner's bandwagon, and try to encourage
you to order another piece of Exotic Star and grow them side by side before
you attribute a name to the unknown. Purples and blues are notorius for not
photographing well even by the most experienced, and by the time the printer
gets through with the process, it doesn't get any better.

I have several that Gail bought before she died, and I have some anecdotal
evidence to help but they are still labeled "Gail's Purple plicata" and Gail's
Pink Somehting" until I can positively id them.

Now, if Anner will slow down a bit so I can jump off....

Thunk, ouch!...Drat...:>))

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.

On this day in

455, A.D., Gaiseric and the Vandals sack Rome.

1858, the Donati Comet is first seen and named after its discoverer.

1873, ground was broken on San Francisco's Clay Street for the world's first
cable-powered railroad.

1928, Kraft's Velveeta Cheese was invented.

and at the top of the charts in:
1957 - So Rare  - Jimmy Dorsey