Re: OT:seed pods

Teresa Cobb wrote:
> I have a question for all you knowledgeable people out there!  I have
> several irises that appear to be producing seed pods.  What do I do
> with them?  Leave alone and they will re-seed?  Pick and dry?

Hi Teresa,

I guess it depends on what you want. If you just leave them on the stalk, in
about 2 months they will dry, and crack open scattering the seeds in the bed.
Some of them will germinate and give you seedlings.

You can also harvest the seeds just before they crack open so they don't
invade your existing beds, In the fall plant them in a seedling bed and in a
couple of years you can decide whether you want to keep them or not. Most of
them will probably be rather nondescript.

On the other hand, one of them might be an outstanding red breakthru that we
are all waiting for...

On this day in

1509, Henry VIII marries his first wife, Catherine of Aragon.

1539, Hernando De Soto claims Florida for Spain.

1875, First Transmission By Voice, by Alexander Graham Bell. "Mr. Watson, come
here. I need you"

1888, There was no joy in Mudville this day as Casey at the Bat was first
published in The San Francisco Examiner

and at the top of the charts in:
1958 - All I Have To Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.