Re: CULT: Herbicidal Drift

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Herbicidal Drift
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:46:27 -0600 (MDT)

Sterling,

If this truly is a case of herbicide poisoning, there is little you can do
but wait and see if your plants have in fact been killed.  If so, your
neighbors may be liable for the cost of the plants in small claims court
(but not really a way to build neighborhood solidarity).

You might try abundant watering to at least try to get the residue off the
plants and washed out of the soil.  This will work only if you have good
drainage.

Some herbicides (but not the common Round-up) are very persistant. I have
an herbicide-poisoned raised bed in my vegetable garden where I had used
some leaves of unknown source as mulch.  This bed still, ten years
later,cannot be used for peppers, which are very sensitive to herbicides.
Irises seem to be relatively insensitive to many herbicides, but can be
seriously harmed by some of the most common ones.

This kind of incident is why I'm against all home use of herbicides.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

"Ruth Adams Club Goes Vertical"
--picture caption in the May 12, 1986, edition of the Farmville Herald.
The photo shows four elderly ladies standing behind a flower arrangement.
They look very grim.