OT-Bio: Catherine Albert

Introduction of new IRIS-L subscriber:  Catherine Albert

I am a confessed lover of "the poor-man's orchid", the iris.  I have only
perhaps a dozen and a half of them at present but fully intend to fill
my Arvada, CO garden spaces with as many as are financially feasible.
I lost two of my Cooley's irises this spring when I tried transplanting
them to a holding bed since I knew I could be moving in May, but I can't
wait to replace them, specifically my "Before the Storm".  The dark purple's
and the bi-colors are probably my favorites.

I'm presently enrolled in a course offered through CSU designed to get
me qualified as a Seed Analyst so I am particularly interested in the hybridization/propagation
process.  Since I have only used the vegatative method on my irised in
the past, it will be interesting to dabble with the genetics involved.

Some years ago I had a piece of jewelry fashioned inspried by the iris
which I call "A Trinity of Trinities" and one day if I reach the point
of having an iris to name, that's what I'll call it.  After having read
Ronald Mullin's article on crossing however, I'm wondering......   At least
I have some excellent potential mentors located here in the Colorado Front
Range area.

Yesterday I ran over to the AIS convention here in Denver and purchased
"The World of Irises" and am looking forward to delving into it in depth.
 It's a pleasure to read the postings here on the list from people who
are so familiar with each of the iris varieties.

Catherine Albert
Arvada, CO;  Foothills of the Rockies