OT-PLANTS: blackberry Lily-lilly or iris??

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-PLANTS: blackberry Lily-lilly or iris??
  • From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:46:41 -0600 (MDT)

>One question, One thought.  Question first:had the question put to me on
>private line, Is  the plant called "blackberry lily" a lily or an iris?

Belamcanda chinensis, the blackberry lily, is an irid, a member of the
Iridacea family though not of the genus Iris. Native to China and Japan, it
thrives in sandy loam and full sun. The rootstock is rhizomatous, and the
leaves are, as you describe, iris-like. The seed capsule's valves reflex as
the pod matures, exposing a column of glossy black seeds resembling a

Read this in a book. Must be true. I've tried growing the little devil from
seeds but have had, so far, no luck at all.

Little Rock USDA Zone 7b ... where we are all heartily sick of 1) August in
June temps; 2) Mexican haze; and 3) fleas. But relief is on the way! Cool
temps by Sunday! :-)