OT: Blackberry Lily

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: Blackberry Lily
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 21:18:26 -0600 (MDT)

     The Blackberry Lily (Belemcanda chinensis) is a member of the Iris
family.  The leaves look like bearded Irises.  The blooms are flat, and are
mostly orange with red dots.  I had this species in Kentucky, and found it
to be attractive.  Here, I am growing two plants obtained from local stock.
 So far, they look great.  I would recommend this plant to anyone.
     According to the Sunset National Garden Book, they will grow anywhere
except the extreme south tip of Florida, and the lower Rio Grande Valley.
They prefer porous soil.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.