OT-CHAT: Herbicidal Drift...fails to kill friendship!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-CHAT: Herbicidal Drift...fails to kill friendship!
  • From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:50:44 -0600 (MDT)

>My neighbor and I are good friends and in the past when she was
>going to spray she would tell me in advance and I would put tarping up to
>avoid such an incident.

I'm relieved to hear that Sterling(not Innerst) and the neighbor are
friends and will remain friends after this accident. Isn't it depressing to
think how easily our devotion to gardening drives a wedge between us and
the neighbors? I catch myself wanting to scream at little kids and cuss out
people for things their dogs have done. It would be mighty easy to become
"that horrible old iris lady."

This postmodern world connives night and day to keep folks from growing
roots in forgiving communities. Seems a great shame to rip up the few we
manage to set down because of plants. We love them, we care about them, we
have financial investments in them, but ultimately they are just plants. A
good neighbor is ever so much more precious.

Bravo and attaboy on your perspective, Sterling. And much sympathy on the
damage to the garden. What a shame.

Little Rock, Arkansas ... where straight-line winds downed trees and shut
off power to this neighborhood last night, and early this morning all of us
wandered our circle in bare feet, helping one another move big branches,
explaining the mess to the toddlers and laughing in our rueful way. After
18 years among them, I do love my neighbors.