Re: OT-CHAT: Herbicidal Drift...fails to kill friendship!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-CHAT: Herbicidal Drift...fails to kill friendship!
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:17:27 -0600 (MDT)

Celia writes:

<<  This postmodern world connives night and day to keep folks from growing
 roots in forgiving communities. Seems a great shame to rip up the few we
manage to set down because of plants. We love them, we care about them, we
have financial investments in them, but ultimately they are just plants. A
good neighbor is ever so much more precious. >>

I don't think I agree with all of this.

I would never urge anyone to take legal action for anything unless it was an
absolutley egregious situation, but I ceertainly don't think the onus of being
a good neighbor is entirely on Sterling. Good neighbors ensure that when they
spray herbicides they don't kill their friends' irises, especially if this
spraying is a yearly ritual. This isn't some ghastly aftereffect that could
not be prevented or foreseen, this is an herbicide, a chemical bought and
applied to kill vegetation. Nor am I entirely comfortable with the statement
that these are just plants. They aren't just plants, they are things Sterling
cares about and part of his garden. Failing to appreciate just that fact is
what caused someone to neglect or forget to take care. Now, I'm not equipped
to analyze the intent of the postmodern world, hell, I can't even get on top
of the dustbunnies in this house, but it seems to me that whereas peace in the
'hood is a fine and good thing you won't have it for long in any case if folks
don't notice what is blooming right in front of their noses and don't show
some respect for their neighbor's stuff.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com