Re: CULT: Herbicidal Drift

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Herbicidal Drift
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:32:58 -0600 (MDT)

	Several years ago I thought I could get rid of a number of
inferior seedlings by spraying them with Roundup and not have to perform
the backbreaking labor of digging up the rhizomes, shaking off the dirt,
and carting them to the trash dumpster.  Well, it did not work!  The
irises were only top-killed with the leaves yellowing, browning, and then
falling off. About three weeks later after a good soaking rain, all the
foliage returned, and the irises were as healthy as ever.  I have also
attempted to kill unwanted daylily seedlings with Roundup, and it did not
work.  The usual ratio of water to Roundup did not kill these plants, and
I am wondering if it would work with full strength Roundup.

	The only damage from herbicidal drift (Roundup) I have seen is
distorted blooms (irises and daylilies) and browning of leaf tips.  I have
not seen total kill from occasional drift when label directions were

	Allan Ensminger can tell you a different story about herbicidal
drift when the railroad company sprayed something along the right-of-way
that was probably 100% stronger than Roundup.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8