OT: Poor Man's Orchid

Walter Moores wrote:

>       I am not an historian but am considered to be somewhat of an
>  antique and an old fogey.  Perhaps, Mrs. Mathews of the Iris Test
Gardens,
>  College Place, WA, coined the phrase "Poor Man's Orchid" or even
>  "Depression Orchid".  She used these terms in the preface (greeting) o=
>  her price list each year.

I do remember that from the late 70s =

or early 80s -- but don't recall when
she started writing or putting out a
catalog.

Gene Hunt's MS dates to the late 40s
or early 50s.

BUT digging a bit deeper....

I found a reference to "Poor Man's Orchid"
in Stager's 1922 book, TALL BEARDED
IRIS (Fleur de Lis) A FLOWER OF SONG.

Usually a stickler for atribution of quotations, =

he provided no clues as to the origin of =

the phrase.  =

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com