Re: Southeast Alaska Blooms

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Southeast Alaska Blooms
  • From: Daryl/Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 00:04:39 -0600 (MDT)

Mark Cook wrote:
> Duane,
> I am glad you are getting some bloom.  I wonder if Kathy in Anchorage
> has bloom yet?

One setosa bloom in front of a coffee house in Anchorage. I have been by
for two "Iris Lattes". May has been a little cool and was one of the
windiest on record. We are saying it is "El Meano" of course, but who
knows. The iris flats may be blooming in a week and my iris bogs in 10
days.

BUT...I heard on the news tonight there are reports in Juneau, Alaska of
a sighting of a man on the iris flats behind that city who is acting
strangely. The person, unnamed (except by the initials D.B.) is said to
be chanting to himself something which sounds like "So many iris, so
little time" with a glazed look on his face, though that is unconfirmed.
He is reported to have a device in his hand, which according to one
source is a camera, but which others think may have a more sinister use.
Until the reports are confirmed, people are asked to keep dogs and
children out of the area to avoid potential problems. There has been one
report of him chasing a large posey-sniffing dog with a piece of
driftwood. The authorities are looking for relatives of the suspect, who
they are hoping can shed some light on his odd behavior. But in a
strange development, they all have seemed to caught the last flight out
of Juneau today bound for, as one was heard to mutter at the airport,
"someplace where Iris aren't blooming." Police are also investigating
whether the family may have something to do with Duane Buell's...er, the
suspect's odd behavior or vice versa.

Kathy Haggstrom (who is staying away from Juneau for a while)
Anchorage, AK