AIS: Conventioneers are home

Ellen Gallagher sends:

Greetings,

Hope you all had a good week....we did in Denver even though it was a
rainy, cold week. It even *snowed* on Fri., June 5th as we toured the
gardens surrounding Denver. :(

Saw a sampling of Siberians in three or four places and, of course, we
made a bee-line for them. At Long's Gardens in Boulder, Colorado, the
beardless beds were separate from the large planting of bearded and when
I turned the corner I saw these SIBROB members: Anne Savannah from
Calgary, Alberta, Canada; Anna Mae Miller from Kalamazoo, Michigan;
Kathy Guest of Buffalo, New York (or near Buffalo); Jim Wilson from
Ohio; Carol Warner of Maryland (who had her son who lives in Boulder
with her as she toured the gardens); and other Siberian fanciers like
Tom Abrego from Oregon and Jean Witt from Washington state or Oregon,
(forgot which :() and Dr. Roy Epperson of North Carolina.

At the Awards Banquet, Bob Hollingworth received two awards including
the Morgan-Wood Medal for 'Coronation Anthem' which we saw growing in
several gardens. Congratulations to him....I could barely see him since
I needed binoculars to see the award winners where I was sitting :))

I sat with three men from the iris-l....one of them (Rick Tasco) had to
hike to receive his Award of Merit. :) The other two were Jeff Walters
and Jared Harris.

Ellen Gallagher / Lancaster, New Hampshire / Zone 3

where it was even colder than Denver according to my husband and there
was a frost on Thursday night and the garden looks good and a few
bloomed but most are still in bud....no frost damage....a beautiful I.
setosa from Alaska is now blooming and INDY (both clumps), ILLINI ENCORE
(3 clumps), SKY WINGS, LILTING LAURA, SNOW PRINCE, MY LOVE and a
bud-loaded HIGH STANDARDS is starting to open. Last year, LADY VANESSA
(2 clumps) was one of the first to open after INDY. It is still in
colored bud but loaded with bloom-stalks.)

Lots of bearded are in bloom along with the hardy geraniums and other
perennials. No peonies are open yet...