Comp: Geeks at the Convention - Report

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Comp: Geeks at the Convention - Report
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:30:57 +0000

Irisborer (Kathy Guest) sends:

This is the 4th time I've tried to send this....

(This message just doesn't want to get sent.... starts at Friday night)

Last night after judges training was the long-awaited Geek Meeting.  The
convention organizers, however, had titled it "Computer Chat", so some
of the folks who normally attend chats on Friday night believed we were
going to somehow accomplish that task there.

Last year Jim Wilson, Mike Lowe and I had gotten drafted by Bill Maryott
to conduct the meeting, and it occured to me at almost the very last
minute that this might happen again.  In a panic I contacted Mike Lowe
and Jim and between us we put together two handouts.... the Iris E-Mail
Rolodex (list of all the iris members' e-mail addresses that Mike Lowe
could find) and a general overview of what's out there in computer/iris
land that Jim and I wrote.  So armed with these things, we headed for
the meeting room..... which was filled to capacity with folks still
coming in.

We found a larger room and I believe we ended up with about 60 people!
We started out as we did in the past asking how many folks had
computers.... but unlike the past, all but two people raised their
hands!  Furthermore, when I asked who had e-mail, most hands went up -
but most people who do have e-mail don't use it for their iris hobby.

So I talked about how using the computer added another dimension to
irising - and how this convention was really a convention within a
convention since we are a definite separate area of the AIS.... and
we're growing.  I can't tell you what a thrill it is to meet these folks
you talk to constantly on-line!

Anyway, my piece was short since I really don't know anything - but then
Mike Lowe got up and spoke about what AIS is doing to bring us into the
age of electronics.  He talked about the electronic database project
whereby all iris registrations will be entered into a database (as a
matter of fact, they already HAVE been entered into the database by
Howard Hughes.. my hero), and will become available in some form to iris
folks.  He also spoke about the AIS web page, the World iris Society web
page and tracing iris genetics in another database.... and a lot of
stuff I didn't follow.

Jim Wilson's part was to tell folks what webpages are, how they are
created and used, the different forms of communication using computers
and how to get there...

Rusty even took the mike for a bit!

We also got into talk about scanners and digital cameras and all kinds
of groovy things - and I think it went very well!  Next year we'll
tighten it up even more - and MAYBE someday we'll be smooth enough to
actually have a projecting training computer available for
demonstrations.

So.... it went well and the only thing missing was those of you who
couldn't join us.

Today was the last day of tours - and the day was crystal clear with
brilliant (and WARM) sunshine and a cloudless sky.  I think by now
you're as weary of irises were grown to
perfection... the scenery is otherwordly.... we saw our first prairie
dog town (KA-EWT), and Carol Warner got a demerit from the bus driver
for tardiness.

I told Anna Mae Miller that I mentioned her headgear (garbage bag) on
line and she said "don't say things like THAT.... people will think I'm
a character!" (she is)

I just want to say in closing that - as I've mentioned right along,
conventions are as much about people as they are about flowers.  I spent
the bulk of this convention with some very special people, Carol Warner,
Shirley Pope, Jim Wilson and Peg Fish and my seat partner, Tom Abrego.
I had the best time I can remember having.... and I hope you all
solomnly swear RIGHT NOW that you will be in Oklahoma in '99.

Kathyguest.... who is already plotting how to get back and see more of
Colorado - in iris heaven.

PS.... if anyone craves more flower talk, let me know and I'll type till
you
beg for mercy.