SPEC: Rising Sun

Jim Wilson sends:

It is good to be back to iris-l after an excellent convention.

I was especially interested that David Silverberg mentioned the
I. pseudacorus that we call Rising Sun, because I had just at
the convention talked about it briefly with Keith Keppel.
As we've mentioned here before, that variety name is already
taken by a 1936 TB, and so we have some confusion that we
ought to resolve some way.  Keith said that we should either
do some extensive research and determine the origin of the
pseudacorus and work from there, and/or have a body like
SIGNA determine what it can and propose a new registration.
He points out that he knows already of plants in Europe going
by that name, and a starting point may be to determine whether
those we have here and others are the same clone.

David's mention of brown rays sent me out to look again at
mine, since the overall impression mine leaves is of a bright
yellow flower and a slightly deeper yellow (with maybe the
tiniest hint of orange) signal.  It does have what appear like
specs of brown around the edge of the signal, 1 or 2 mm long,
and then sure enough they do extend down through the signal
as much fainter brown rays.  It seems much like an ordinary
pseudacorus, but what strikes me most about it is foliage that
seems brighter green and more upright than others, like
emerald swords.  I'm wondering if David is looking at the
same plant I am and if any differences can be attributed to
culture.  My clone is the one that Carol Warner obtained from
a nursery in her travels.

Have any of our worldwide readers encountered a pseudacorus
Rising Sun that is the same or clearly different from this one?
I think it would be good if somehow some set of people were
able to do the work necessary to establish a registered variety
here, because I think the characteristics, at least of the plant that
I have, merit it.
                        --Jim

__
Jim Wilson, Oxford, Ohio, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@one.net    http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh