Re: PESTS: Need help with ANTS!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: PESTS: Need help with ANTS!
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 21:55:20 +0000

Lora L. Masche wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I read your note on fertilizer and have a question?  Do you think a 20-20-20
> fertilizer is a little strong on the nitrogen?  I use a 6-20-20
> Lora L. Masche
> Forquin Mountain Iris Garden
> 21643 Shake Ridge Road
> Volcano, CA 95689
> (209)296-4436
> http://welcome.to/irisgarden

John forwards and replys at the same time...

Yes and no... When I use anything stronger than 10-10-10 I use less. So
if it were 20-20-20 I would use half as much. Thanks for pointing that
out, I neglected to mention it in my post. As to the relative strength
of the nitrogen component relative to the others, I have always been
told, by various sources, that balanced is best. Perhaps in higher temp
and higher humidity areas, a lower nitrogen porportion might be better
to reduce the risk of rot, but at least where I am, 10-10-10 works best
for long term fertilizer. I have never felt the need for stronger doses
of potassium and phosphorus. I don't know your soil, and if it is is
thinner and drains faster than my rich clay, 6-20-20 may be better for
you. Once again this points out how careful we have to be to evaluate
our own conditions and to know the conditions of the giver of advice.

Thanks

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.
http://members.home.net/jijones