Re: CULT: Pod identification / was -Seed Pod Success?
- To: Multiple recipients of list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: CULT: Pod identification / was -Seed Pod Success?
- From: "John I. Jones" <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:30:03 +0000
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Jan Clark wrote:
> >Barbara Mann wrote:
> >........a lot of bee pods, including one in the same
> >> socket as a planned cross (which means I'm going to have to grow both
> podsfull of seeds out and try to figure out which is which).
> When I started pollenating TB's I realised that tying tags was not going
> to help identify pods if 2 in the one socket were pollenated by
> different pollen parents. I marked the base of each pollenated flower
> with a spirit marker and as the pod enlarged, marked each pod with a
> number. The number was recorded with the details of the cross. If you
> have several stems in a clump, these can be numbered in the same way.
> (So the third flower on the second stem might be indicated in your
> records as 3/2) If you're likely to mix up your numbers, then use
> letters for the stems and numbers for the pods. I only lost the details
> of one cross in this way, so I threw that pod away. This method takes a
> little time and vigilance, but works well if you aren't doing too many
> Jan Clark, counting down to spring in Australia.
> Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com