Re: SPEC: Iris unguicularis

From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>

william b. cook wrote:
> From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
> > Unguicularis are usually dormant during the summer for me and grow and
> > bloom during the winter.  I would not fertilize at this time.
> >
> Rick,
>      The plants are not dormant at this time.  Since summer is normally the
> wet season, they may or may not go dormant, but I will not fertilize.  When
> should they be fertilized?

I believe that Unguicularis in their native habitat live in somewhat
poor soil and have adapted to it.  Some of my clumps never get any
fertilizer and grow and bloom profusely.  If I remember I will apply a
small amount of granular fertilizer around the plant in the fall when
new growth is apparent.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California