Re: Bloom report from Oz

From: Ann Pearce <jac@senet.com.au>

>From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
>Ann Pearce wrote:
>> Recently, my I. unguicularis x cretensis bloomed for the first time - I love
>Please give more details on this hybrid.
>I. un... thrives here, but I am not familiar with I cr.... A significantly
>different winter bloomer would be exciting.

As available here, the cretensis hybrid has very different blooms to the
other I. unguicularis I have.  The flowers are described in a local
catalogue as being "marked and splotched in an irregular pattern in deeper
violet".  I don't usually like striped blooms, but I love this one.  General
plant habits appear to be similar to the more common form.  I would
certainly consider it worthwhile having both.  Rick Tasco may be able to
give you more information on the cretensis hybrid - it was his mention of it
several months ago that prompted me to get one.  As I recall, he said it had
a hyacinth-like scent.  I was unable to detect any scent on mine, but that
may be a result of our different cultural conditions.

Ann Pearce
Adelaide, South Australia